State Overview state laws

Alaska has dry, wet and damp counties. Towns and villages choose their own laws regarding alcohol including sales, production, transportation, etc. This means laws will be specific to each county and will require you checking with your area.

Wet counties do allow individuals to produce some spirits per year.

AS 04.21.015 addresses private manufacture of alcohol. In communities that have exercised their option to control alcohol through the local option process, whichever local option is in place for the community applies to manufacture of alcohol within the jurisdiction of the community. AS 04.21.015 exempts private manufacture of alcohol from the provisions of Title 4, except in communities that have adopted a local option or in cases where the amount manufactured exceeds the limits allowed under federal regulation. Federal regulation 27 CFR 25.205 imposes limits on the amount of homemade alcohol that can be legally manufactured.

  • (1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults residing in the household, or
  • (2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.
Alaska ABC

Fuel manufacturing state laws

No information about fuel production was available online.

Legal manufacturing licenses & regulations

Licenses are available for the production of ethanol but are restricted by county.

There are several licenses you need to request to legally manufacture spirits. Below are the federal licenses only. Additional state requirements will need to be followed as well.

You must submit a request for a license to manufacture spirits: TTB 5110.41 Basic permit.

This license only allows you to produce spirits. You also need a license for the distilling equipment / distillery: TTB 5100.24 Distilled spirit plant

For manufacturing ethanol fuel you will need to submit a request for a TTB 5110.74 for a federal license.

Posession stills & moonshine

Depending on your county owning a still may or may not be legal.

Dry counties it is illegal to own or operate a still for any reason. Licenses to distill fuel or legal spirits are also not available.

Wet counties it is legal to own and operate a still in most wet counties. You will need to check with your specific county. Stills can be used for oils, fuel, water, etc. Distillers are also able to produce spirits for personal non-sale use up to a yearly limit of 100 gallons per adult per household, which means being in possession of moonshine you produced on your own property is legal.

The sale of moonshine or transport is still illegal in wet counties.

Federal laws

Current federal laws allow citizens the right to own a still and operate it for non-alcohol production.

This means legally you can:

Each state and even counties have their own laws that may supersede federal laws.

It is your responsibility to know the laws in your area.