State Overview state laws

Arkansas Code Section 3-3-402(a)(1) (2012), provides that “ It shall be unlawful for any person, including any corporation or legal entity: (1) To own, possess, or knowingly transport any illicit still, still worm, or any apparatus or any substantial part of any illicit still designed for the unlawful manufacture of spirituous, vinous, or malt liquor." Ownership of a still is a Class D Felony.

Fuel manufacturing state laws

Legal manufacturing licenses & regulations

Arkansas Alcoholic Beverage Control Rules, Title 1, Subtitle C, Article 1, Section 1.19(14) Commerical licenses are available.

There are several licenses you need to request to legally manufacture spirits. Below are the federal licenses only. Additional state requirements will need to be followed as well.

You must submit a request for a license to manufacture spirits: TTB 5110.41 Basic permit.

This license only allows you to produce spirits. You also need a license for the distilling equipment / distillery: TTB 5100.24 Distilled spirit plant

For manufacturing ethanol fuel you will need to submit a request for a TTB 5110.74 for a federal license.

Posession stills & moonshine

Large fines if found in possession of non-taxed spirits. If found transporting non-taxed spirits you lose the vehicle.

Federal laws

Current federal laws allow citizens the right to own a still and operate it for non-alcohol production.

This means legally you can:

Each state and even counties have their own laws that may supersede federal laws.

It is your responsibility to know the laws in your area.