State Overview state laws

Owning a still is legal in the state of California for non-ethanol uses if the still is registered with the state. License code 06

California ABC website

Fuel manufacturing state laws

For manufacturing fuel for personal use you will only need to have your still registered with the state. Federal licenses are still required.

Legal manufacturing licenses & regulations

To legally manufacture spirits for sale the still(s) need to be registered with the state. A license to manufacture spirits is also required "04 Distilled Spirits Manufacturer", along with all federal licenses.

California licenses.

There are several licenses you need to request to legally manufacture spirits. Below are the federal licenses only. Additional state requirements will need to be followed as well.

You must submit a request for a license to manufacture spirits: TTB 5110.41 Basic permit.

This license only allows you to produce spirits. You also need a license for the distilling equipment / distillery: TTB 5100.24 Distilled spirit plant

For manufacturing ethanol fuel you will need to submit a request for a TTB 5110.74 for a federal license.

Posession stills & moonshine

Large fines if found in possession of non-taxed spirits.

Federal laws

Current federal laws allow citizens the right to own a still and operate it for non-alcohol production.

This means legally you can:

Each state and even counties have their own laws that may supersede federal laws.

It is your responsibility to know the laws in your area.