State Overview state laws

Licensed wineries are allowed to distill wines to make brandies, grappa, and other grape related products.

Sec. 30-16. (e) (1)

A manufacturer permit for a farm winery shall be in all respects the same as a manufacturer permit,except that the scope of operations of the holder shall be limited to wine and brandies distilled from grape products or other fruit products, including grappa and eau-de-vie. As used in this section, "farm winery" means any place or premises, located on a farm in the state in which wine is manufactured and sold.

Connecticut Liquor control division.

Fuel manufacturing state laws

Legally residents are allowed to own and operate a still in Connecticut. Since there are no specific laws against fuel production or any permits or licenses listed that I could find then only the federal licenses should be required. You should contact your local area office to confirm any steps that may be required.

Legal manufacturing licenses & regulations

Regulation of distillers

Licenses & permits

There are several licenses you need to request to legally manufacture spirits. Below are the federal licenses only. Additional state requirements will need to be followed as well.

You must submit a request for a license to manufacture spirits: TTB 5110.41 Basic permit.

This license only allows you to produce spirits. You also need a license for the distilling equipment / distillery: TTB 5100.24 Distilled spirit plant

For manufacturing ethanol fuel you will need to submit a request for a TTB 5110.74 for a federal license.

Posession stills & moonshine

Connecticut does not allow the production of spirits without a license.

Transport of various alcohols is allowed and nothing was found specifically related to spirits.

Federal laws

Current federal laws allow citizens the right to own a still and operate it for non-alcohol production.

This means legally you can:

Each state and even counties have their own laws that may supersede federal laws.

It is your responsibility to know the laws in your area.