State Overview state laws

In the state of Georgia it is legal to own a still as long as the still is not used to distill spirits or to manufacture moonshine. A still can be owned and operated to distill water, essential oils, vinegar, etc. As long as the end product is not ethanol.

Georgia also allows residents to produce beers and wines for personal household use.

Manufacturing beer for personal household use:

Code §3-5-4
  • (a) (1) Malt beverages may be produced by a person in his or her private residence subject to the limitations provided in this Code section.
  • (2) The total quantity of malt beverages that may be produced in any private residence shall be as follows:
  • (A) Not more than 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one person of legal drinking age living in such residence; or
  • (B) Not more than 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more persons of legal drinking age living in such residence;
  • provided, however, that no more than 50 gallons shall be produced in a 90 day period.

Manufacturing wine for personal household use:

Code §3-6-3
(a) A head of a household may produce 200 gallons of wine in any one calendar year to be consumed within his own household without any requirement to be licensed for such purpose. Wine so produced shall not be subject to any excise tax imposed by this chapter.

Fuel manufacturing state laws

To manufacture ethanol fuel you are required to submit copies of your Federal permits to the state authorities as well as obtain non-beverage alcohol manufacturer’s license and a motor fuel distributor’s fuel license regardless of if you plan to resell the fuel.

Legal manufacturing licenses & regulations

Georgia requires a license to produce and or to resell ethanol spirits. The fee is $1,100 for the license and investigation fee. Luckly Georgia has much of the information on their website about applying for licenses and the requirements.

The process and licenses can be viewed here.

The requirements listed are:
  1. ATT-104/ COLA & Labels
  2. ATT-17 Personnel Statement
  3. State Financial Affidavit
  4. Liquor Manufacturer/Distillery Bond
  5. Copy of Federal Basic Permit
  6. Copy of Local License (In state)
  7. Property Lease or Deed
  8. Power of Attorney (If Applicable)
  9. O.C.G.A 50-3-1 (e)(2) - Citizenship Affidavit
  10. Secure and Verifiable Documents

Georgia has information on obtaining a license to commercially produce spirits for resale here.
Georgia alcohol licensing website

There are several licenses you need to request to legally manufacture spirits. Below are the federal licenses only. Additional state requirements will need to be followed as well.

You must submit a request for a license to manufacture spirits: TTB 5110.41 Basic permit.

This license only allows you to produce spirits. You also need a license for the distilling equipment / distillery: TTB 5100.24 Distilled spirit plant

For manufacturing ethanol fuel you will need to submit a request for a TTB 5110.74 for a federal license.

Posession stills & moonshine

2006 Georgia Code - 3-3-27

Any person who violates the provisions of: (1) Paragraph (1) of subsection (a) (Distill, manufacture, or make any distilled spirits) of this Code section shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than five years;

Along with a unlisted fine and jail time the still, spirits and distilling equipment will be seized.

Any apparatus, article, or other tangible personal property used in the unlawful distillation, manufacture, or making of any alcoholic beverages is declared contraband and shall be destroyed by the officers or agents seizing the property or otherwise disposed of as the commissioner directs”.

Georgia Statue Section 17-10-3(a)(1)
Selling or being in posession of illegal moonshine is a Misdemeanor and a fine of $1,000.

Federal laws

Current federal laws allow citizens the right to own a still and operate it for non-alcohol production.

This means legally you can:

Each state and even counties have their own laws that may supersede federal laws.

It is your responsibility to know the laws in your area.