State Overview state laws

Residents of Kansas can own a still and use it for non-moonshine related activities such as distilling water, essential oils, etc. The production of ethanol or personal use or resell is illegal.

Kansas also does allow the manufacture of non-fermented alcohols such as beers, ciders and wines for personal use.

Kan. Stat. Ann. ยง41-104 No person shall manufacture, bottle, blend, sell, barter, transport, deliver, furnish or possess any alcoholic liquor for beverage purposes, except as specifically provided in this act, the club and drinking establishment act or article 27 of chapter 41 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, except that nothing contained in this act shall prevent: (a) The possession and transportation of alcoholic liquor for the personal use of the possessor, the possessor's family and guests except that the provisions of K.S.A. 41-407, and amendments thereto, shall be applicable to all persons; (b) the making of wine, cider or beer by a person from fruits, vegetables or grains, or the product thereof, by simple fermentation and without distillation, if it is made solely for the use of the maker and the maker's family .
Kansas ABC website

Fuel manufacturing state laws

I could not find any information about ethanol fuel licenses but there are several producers in Kansas so licenses seem to be available.

Legal manufacturing licenses & regulations

The Microdistillery license allows the manufacture and storage of not more than 50,000 gallons of spirits per year; the sale of spirits manufactured by the licensee in the original unopened container to be consumed off the licensed premise; and, free samples provided on the licensed premise and at special events monitored and regulated by the ABC.

When you apply for a new Microdistillery license, it will be for a two year license term and it must be renewed biannually. You will have the option to either:

  • pay the license fee and the registration fee in full; or,
  • pay half of the license fee plus the registration fee with your application and pay the remaining half of the license fee plus a 10 percent surcharge within one year from the date your license was issued. Note: If you do not pay your remaining license fee and the 10 percent surcharge when it is due, your license will automatically be cancelled.

There are several licenses you need to request to legally manufacture spirits. Below are the federal licenses only. Additional state requirements will need to be followed as well.

You must submit a request for a license to manufacture spirits: TTB 5110.41 Basic permit.

This license only allows you to produce spirits. You also need a license for the distilling equipment / distillery: TTB 5100.24 Distilled spirit plant

For manufacturing ethanol fuel you will need to submit a request for a TTB 5110.74 for a federal license.

Posession stills & moonshine

Being in possession of or transporting moonshine in Kansas regardless of if it is only for personal use and not for resale is illegal.

Federal laws

Current federal laws allow citizens the right to own a still and operate it for non-alcohol production.

This means legally you can:

Each state and even counties have their own laws that may supersede federal laws.

It is your responsibility to know the laws in your area.